Friday 11 March 2011

Interview With Primary School Teacher

This was actually very pleasant, I got a few bits and bobs from the interview and it gave me a clearer idea of what works well when teaching children the alphabet. Although I think I need to interview nursery school teachers or parents rather than primary school teachers because my learning cards are going to be for toddlers, not children that may already know the alphabet and attending primary school.

Having said that, this was still a worthwhile experience. Reminded me of some of the child-hood learning techniques I endured during my years of being a child which was interesting. The interviewee was getting all flustered about teaching children because it is such a hard thing to do, especially the age group she is teaching (reception). She was telling me how they taught the alphabet using Jolly Phonics which meant teaching combinations of letters as well as individual letters using sound and motion:

"It's a nightmare teaching phonics! How can you teach a child how to pronounce 'knee!' with the silent 'k'?! You can teach rules to a certain extent but they just have to learn."

It was amazing hearing a teacher talk passionately about her job and not just hearing the positive experiences she's had but also the honest not so glamorous side which I want to address and help out with.

No comments:

Post a Comment